New Delhi: Indian Railways allows its passengers to book tickets last minute under the Tatkal ticket booking scheme. The Tatkal train tickets can be booked by passengers online through Railways app or IRCTC website. Tatkal tickets can also be booked offline from any of the Indian Railways reservation centre across the country.
Tatkal train tickets come with premium charges which make them expensive than the normal train tickets. Tatkal train tickets are issued for actual distance of travel, instead of end-to-end, subject to the distance restriction applicable to the train. Ticket agents or web agents of IRCTC are restricted from booking Tatkal tickets between 10 am and 12 pm.
Here are Tatkal rules, timings, charges for 2020:
Note that Tatkal charges have been fixed as a percentage of fare at the rate of 10 per cent of basic fare for second class and 30 per cent of basic fare for all other classes subject to minimum and maximum.
1. Tatkal booking opens at 10 am every day for air-conditioned (AC) classes and 11 am for non-AC classes one day in advance of the actual date of journey.
2. Under Tatkal tickets, only four passengers can be booked on one PNR (passenger name record) number unlike six passengers in case of normal train ticket.
3. Confirmed Tatkal train tickets are not subject to cancellation however if the train is delayed by more than three hours at the journey originating point of the passenger or if the train is to run on a diverted route and passenger is not willing to travel, the refund will be given.
Tatkal train ticket cancellation rules:
1. If the train is delayed by more than three hours at the journey originating point of the passenger and not the boarding point if the passenger’s journey originating point and boarding point are different.
2. If the train is to run on a diverted route and passenger is not willing to travel
3. If the train is to run on diverted route and boarding station or the destination or both the stations are not on the diverted route.
4. In case of non-attachment of coach in which Tatkal accommodation has been earmarked and the passenger has not been provided accommodation in the same class.
5. If the party has been accommodated in lower class and does not want to travel. In case the party travels in lower class, the passenger will be given refund of difference of fare and also the difference of Tatkal charges, if any.